Monday 25 March 2013

Introduction.

I started this blog so I could pretty much talk about the games I'm playing and the comics I'm reading at the moment. Books and movies will probably creep in here too a long with anything else that captures my fancy.

I started gaming in 1984 at three years old when my dad took me round to a his friends house who lived up the street. He had an Atari 2600 and was really into technology  I was plonked down on the floor watching him play space invaders while they chatted. My dad was kind of a gadget fiend too (although I'd probably get smote from the heavens if I called him a nerd.) and they were enthusing about the sprites on screen. I can remember asking to play it and the guy laughing at me but he gave me the joystick and off I went. It was wonderful. I remember I loved the squashy noise as the invaders hit the shields the most. They watched me die a few times (oh come on I was three..) and then my dad said it was time to leave. I immediately burst into tears. That was the point where games ate my soul! *dramatic music*

Okay they didn't really eat my soul I still love fluffy bunnies but I was pretty smitten with them. Eventually my dad's friend gave me the system because I was playing it more than him. Having been able to sneak round under the guise of playing with his daughters Kylie and Amanda (My sister did the actual playing).



So the Atari 2600 was my first system and I loved it. Space Invaders is a wonderful game and I can see why the Japanese ran short of coins while it was in the arcade. It is very well designed. You can hide under the shields but then you waste needed time as the invaders descend upon you. Looking back the Atari's graphics look a bit like a robot sneezed but back then I guess we didn't know any better! It's great how we have gone from joystick with one button to thing's like the WII U controller.



Anyway that's my first blog post done. I hope I pick some people up along the way and they enjoy it.

Have a lovely day.

No comments:

Post a Comment